Tian ma, Traditional Chinese Medicinal herb, in Latin is Rhizoma Gastrodiae, and the dried tuber of Gastrodia elata Bl. (Fam. Orchidaceae).
Gastrodiae/Tian Ma is mainly produced in Yunnan, Sichuan, Shanxi and Guizhou provinces. It is also produced in Dabie Mountains and southern mountain district in Anhui province. In Shanxi and Guizhou provinces, it is usually grown.
Gathering and Processing Gastrodiae/Tian Ma is collected from winter to the next spring. The tuber is dug out, and should be washed very clean after the fine roots and mud are removed, steamed or boiled thoroughly, spread out and dried at a lower temperature to 70-80% in dryness. Then it is taken out, squashed and fully dried afterwards.
Pharmacological Effects Tianma has protective effects on the heart, microcirculation, blood vessels and blood pressure, on nerve cell injury and can enhance immunity. It also has anticonvulsion, sedative-hypnotic effects analgesic effects, nootropic and anti-aging effects.
The properties of Gastrodiae/Tian Ma is weet in flavor and neutral in property, and attributive to the liver.
Actions Subdue the liver-wind and arrest convulsion, soothe the hyperactive liver yang, eliminate wind and remove the obstruction from meridians.
1. Internal stiring of the liver wind, seizures and convulsion For acute and chronic infantile convulsion, it is usually combined with Lingyangjiao, Gouteng, and Quanxie ,etc.; for chronic infantile convulsion due to spleen deficiency, it is combined with Renshen, Baizhu , and Jiangcan, etc.; for the treatment of tetanus with convulsion, combined with Tiannanxing , Baifuzi, etc.
2. Vertigo and headache For vertigo and headache due to hyperactivity of liver yang, it is usually combined with Gouteng and Huangqin,etc; for headache and dizziness due to up-attacking of wind-phlegm, combined with Banxia and Baizhu , etc.; for vertigo in staggering and headache, combined with Chuanxiong .
3. Nerve pain Intramuscular injection of 2~4ml of 20% Tianma Injection is obviously effective in curing trigeminal neuralgia, sciatica and supraorbital neuralgia. In treatment of nervous pain by gastrodinea, bout 70% effective rate is achieved.
4. Epilepsy Vanillyl aldehyde tablet made from the active component of Tianma is effective in treating a bad fit or slight fit of epilepsy.
5. Vertigo syndrome Tianma Injection is used to treat this syndrome with about 90% effective rate.
6. Rheumatoid pain, numbness of the extremities, distorted mouth and eye, and difficult movement of hands and feet For these morbid conditions, it is combined with the medicinals for expelling wind and dampness such as Qinjiao and Qianghuo, etc.
7. Hyperlipidemia Armillaria tablet has certain curative effect on high cholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia and hypertension.
Usage and Dosage Oral administration of decoction 3-9g.