Codonopsis, jujube and pork ribs soup
Materials: 30 grams of codonopsis, 500 grams of pork ribs, 8 jujubes and appropriate amount of ginger, scallion, salt and pepper powder.
- Wash codonopsis and cut into sections with 3cm long. Wash jujubes and remove nutlet.
- Wash pork ribs, chop into sections and then scald a moment. Fish out. Wash ginger and scallion, pat ginger into loosening and cut scallion into sections.
- Put pork ribs, codonopsis, jujubes, ginger and scallion into pot, add some clean water and then put pot on fire. Cook with strong fire. After boiling, switch into soft fire to cook for 1.5 hours. Add salt and pepper powder.
Function: the soup can tonify middle energizer and qi, strengthen spleen and nourish lung.
- Codonopsis is neutral in nature with sweet taste. Strengthen spleen and nourish lung.
The Chinese medicine thought that codonopsis is neutral in nature with sweet taste. It enters spleen and lung meridians. Tonify middle energizer and qi, strengthen spleen and nourish lung. It is used for weakness of lung and spleen, shortness of breath, palpitation, poor appetite, loose stools, dyspnea due to deficiency, cough, endogenous heat, consumptive thirst and other diseases.
Codonopsis is a usual herb of medicine and food, which is appropriate to make soup, simmer, soak in wine, brew tea and decoct. Decoct with medical material is the best. Take 5-10 grams in medicined diet every day and take 10-30 grams in medical material.
- There is big difference between codonopsis and ginseng. Codonopsis often is used for health care in daily life.
Ginseng and codonopsis both have functions of invigorating the spleen and qi, promoting the secretion of body fluid, nourishing the blood and strengthening the body resistance. However, the ginseng is partially warm in nature and the nourishing effect is strong. Mostly it is used in danger. If it is improper to be used, it will have obvious side effects. For the daily health care, people should be cautious to use ginseng.
The codonopsis is neutral in nature with sweet taste. Effect is mitigatory. It is a tonic product. It can widely suit people with fewer side effects, so it is commonly used in health care.
Due to the effects of codonopsis like ginseng, although less potency, it has low-cost advantage with amounts. Thus, the ancients often use codonopsis to replace the ginseng for treatment of patients with some mild deficiency and chronic disease. In addition, codonopsis with radix rehmanniae preparata has effects on treatment of qi, lung and kidney deficiency.